You can help in many ways
Thank you for being a part of the Hair We Share mission to help maintain the dignity, confidence and self- esteem to those affected by medical hair loss. We use your locks to make beautiful custom wigs and give them free of charge to kids and adults. We are only able to do this thanks to hair donations combined with financial contributions. When you join our ponytail tracking program, we show you the wig we made from your hair.
We never sell hair or wigs.
Donating During Covid
We are still accepting hair donations during the Covid19 pandemic; however, some aspects of our wig production are delayed.
Due to the loss of our fundraising events, we have a special program that will help us cover the expense of manufacturing wigs. If you join our ponytail tracking program you can now donate as few as 8 inches. For only $150 you will allow us to gift your hair to someone in need. As a special thanks we will send you a photo of the wig made from your hair and a Hair We Share “I Made the Cut” t-shirt.
Hair We Accept
- Minimum length of 12″ (We can accept 8″ when joining our ponytail tracking program)
- Hair that has been dyed (natural colors only) without the use of bleach
- Hair that is permed or straightened (after damaged ends are trimmed off)
- Gray hair
Hair We Do Not Accept
- Hair that has been treated with bleach – or lightened.
- Hair that is not a natural color.
- Hair that is sent to us wet.
- Hair that is not packaged in a sealed plastic bag
How to Collect Hair
- Hair must be clean and completely dry.
- Hair should be secured and cut in several small ponytails rather than one big one, this helps us get the most usable hair. It is ok if your hair was already cut in one large ponytail, we will still use it.
- Please do not braid hair. If your hair was already braided and cut, please leave it in the braid and let us know if it is curly.
- Curly and wavy hair should be kept in its natural pattern and not blown straight.
- Cut hair 1” above bands (the one inch above the band is included in the length of donation).
- Secure small ponytails together at the top with a rubber band or ribbon.
- Place and seal in a plastic bag, label bag with your name and contact information.
How to Send Hair
- Before sending your hair please submit the Ponytail Donation Form.
- For sanitary reasons, your must be in a sealed zip loc bag.
- To prevent damage please do not use a paper envelope, please use a padded envelope.
- Submit an online donation form
- Mail to:
Hair We Share
4 Expressway Plaza Suite
LL14 Roslyn Heights, NY 11577
- If you are joining our Ponytail Tracking with a minimum contribution of $150.00. Please address:
ATTENTION TRACKING DEPARTMENT
- We will match your hair to your online donation form when we receive it and send confirmation by email, it may go to your spam.
- If you have joined our tracking program, please reply the hair received confirmation email with your t-shirt size.
To Join the Ponytail Tracking Program
There are many ways you can donate to track your hair.
Create a fundraiser, send a check along with your ponytail, use Pay Pal or Venmo @hairweshare.
Additional funds raised will help to sponsor more wigs!
Hair Donation FAQ's
Is a monetary donation required? We strongly suggest but do not require a monetary donation with a hair donation. Monetary donations are how we are able to manufacture wigs and give the gift of your hair to another person. We could not exist without monetary donations.
I am joining the ponytail tracking program, does this mean I can meet the person who will get my hair? Our number one priority is the safety and well being of our wig recipients. We respectfully protect the privacy of our recipients. On rare occasions, a recipient allows us to show a photo, this is at their discretion.
Can I donate my hair to a specific person? Because of Covid 19 this is currently not available. We love to make this happen but there are several obstacles. We can not make a surprise wig. The person receiving the wig will first need to go through the application process through our website. We can only do this for people who have permanent hair loss, there is a long wait to receive a wig.
Join our Ponytail Tracking Program!
When you join our Ponytail Tracking Program, we will send you a photo of your hair in a wig. Although it is not likely, whenever possible we will provide a photograph of the recipient of the wig. Please know that most patients prefer to remain anonymous due to difficulties they face during fragile times in their lives. Our first priority is to the well being of our recipients.
A financial contribution of $150.00 when donating your ponytail will insure that you receive communication regarding the use of your hair. This donation can be made through our website, by check or through a crowdfunding campaign
When you raise additional money through a crowdfunding campaign we will pay it forward to the many ponytails we receive that are not sponsored.
If you do not see a salon listed in your area you can use any salon, please bring them the instructions (above) for cutting.
If you are a salon owner and would like to become part of Hair We Share, contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org